Bethenny Frankel Weighs in on Ramona Singer’s Alleged Racial Slur Debacle Amid Her Reality Reckoning

by Alexander Gates
Bethenny Frankel Weighs in on Ramona Singer's Alleged Racial Slur Debacle Amid Her Reality Reckoning

Credit: lev radin / Shutterstock, Janet Mayer/startraksphoto

Bethenny Frankel is weighing in on a recent article that alleges Ramona Singer used a racial slur against a Black crew member.

The Real Housewives of New York City star, 53, recently gave her opinion in an expose about the Bravo Network, and she specifically addressed an allegation that former RHONY co-star Ramona once used a racial slur while filming for season 13 was underway.

Ramona, 66, reportedly directed the disparaging remark at a Black crew member. When ET Online caught up with the TV producer on the red carpet of the Glamour Women of the Year event, she seemed hesitant to say much about the situation involving Ramona.

“I think Ramona’s been in and out of this whole machine and one day maybe she’ll be able to explain herself in a manner that maybe she will be educated, or be able to explain herself,” Bethenny explained.

She then clarified her position, saying, “I can’t take just what happens on reality TV at face value, but I don’t know. I honestly don’t know.”

Following a Vanity Fair article about the Real Housewives “reckoning” and its effect on the Bravo network, it was reported that Ramona isn’t a Douglas Elliman real estate agent any longer as a result of the racial slur allegation. Stephen Larkin, Executive Vice President and Chief Communications Officer for Douglas Elliman, confirmed the report, saying, “She [Ramona] is no longer with Douglas Elliman.”

It was also reported that after Ramona allegedly used the racial slur, a complaint was filed against RHONY’s parent companies, Shed Media, Bravo, and NBCUniversal. Notably, Ramona has maintained that she never used the racial slur, and an internal investigation at the time was unable to clear it up.

Additionally, the RMS Fashions mogul was removed from the BravoCon 23 lineup, which took place in Las Vegas earlier this month. Apparently, she made things worse when she attempted to whitewash the slur in a text to a Page Six reporter.

As fans know, Ramona left Real Housewives of New York City at the close of season 13 when the show brought in six new cast members. Though real estate is a natural progression for past and present Housewives, it looks like it may be a difficult one for Ramona.

RHONY alum Kelly Bensimon has had great success at Douglas Elliman since 2019, and Erin Lichy was an Elliman broker when she was cast for season 14. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for Ramona. Will we be seeing more of her in the future, or will she be relegated to the dustbin of Real Housewives of New York history?

doggiedaddy November 27, 2023 - 10:25 am Reply
Auntie Oxidant November 27, 2023 - 10:37 am

Bethenny weighs in (of course) and says absolutely nothing.

Beachgirl November 27, 2023 - 10:40 am

Misleading headline.

Realitynot November 27, 2023 - 11:18 am

I thought it was just me also. I got nothing from Bethany.

PLS November 27, 2023 - 3:20 pm

I mean, she said less than nothing. The letters in my alphabet soup randomly coalesce into more meaningful sentences. What a bunch of weasel words.

Crazy Eyes! November 27, 2023 - 10:46 am

Hiring Ramona to buy real estate is as about as ridiculous as hiring Teresa to be a math tutor for your 8 year old!!!!

Pahleeeeez November 27, 2023 - 11:16 am

Kelly is a moron. I feel sorry for her assistant who has to do all the work while she gets all dressed up and “plays” realter.

captainjk4 November 27, 2023 - 12:08 pm

The problem I have with Ramona getting fired from her job and not being allowed at the stupid BravoCon event is that all of it was based on years old allegations. We heard this all before. We heard it was her word against the other Bravo employee. We heard that nothing was found in the internal investigation. Just because a magazine writes an article and says something about a person, and that person DEFENDS herself in a text (and didn’t use the offending word in the text btw) should not be a reason to be fired and have their lives ruined. If she did it, and it was proven without a doubt, then get rid of her. But I find it frightening that I live in a country with a judicial system better than many other countries, and in the last few years emotional people are abandoning it. It’s all about “cancelling” people based on feelings. I fear for all of us because someday it can happen to any one of us, and facts and evidence won’t matter. They certainly don’t matter here. It’s just “well I feel she had it coming!” and that’s not the way it’s supposed to work.

Lisa Barlow’s Cankles November 27, 2023 - 12:18 pm

Thank you SO much for articulating my feelings, exactly. The Stuart Seldowitz story is an example of justice being served when a person is rightfully cancelled for heinous behavior. The facts as presented for Ramona’s story don’t even remotely merit what has happened to her.

I found it particularly irritating that Bershan Shaw was not interviewed for the VF story because she and Eboni were cast for the same reason and obviously had wildly different experiences filming which undermines the narrative pushed by Eboni and VF.

captainjk4 November 27, 2023 - 12:24 pm

Ironically Eboni IS a racist and there’s plenty of proof of it. Why isn’t SHE fired from her jobs? And who is Bershan Shaw? I never heard of him/her?

Auntie Oxidant November 27, 2023 - 12:40 pm

Bershan appeared in the last RHONY season as a friend of the housewives. Like Eboni, she was Black, but unlike Eboni, she seemed to fit in easily with the original cast members. She had a fun vibe.

captainjk4 November 27, 2023 - 12:44 pm

Oh, the Eboni season. I only watched about 3 episodes of that season and had to stop because I couldn’t stand listening to the racism coming out of Eboni’s mouth. I’m assuming this other person came on after I quit.

Lisa Barlow’s Cankles November 27, 2023 - 1:09 pm

Bershan was cast as a Friend during that same season. She’s a black mental health coach/influencer and she was cast at Ramona’s recommendation. I refused to watch that season because of Eboni but I read the recaps and threads closely while it aired and the general consensus was that Bershan brought “diversity” while still being fun and her minor conflicts with cast members (Sonja) were not race-related.

captainjk4 November 27, 2023 - 1:14 pm

I quit after only a few episodes of that season. I couldn’t take racist Eboni, so I never got to see this person unfortunately. RHONY was probably my favorite until the season before (Leah sucked) and then Eboni and her racism was the ultimate nail in the coffin for me.

Lisa Barlow’s Cankles November 27, 2023 - 1:25 pm

I agree. I binged Season 12 once but now I can’t rewatch it because Leah is so obnoxious. She wasn’t nearly as intolerable on the Thailand Girls Trip but nobody on that cast was entertaining.

Erika'sAngryEarrings November 27, 2023 - 5:26 pm

Plus Eboni never engaged with Bershan at all, considered herself too educated and “classist” and superficial herself, former pageant girl, loved saying where she’d gone to college and law school, very good but Tinsley didn’t go around bragging about Columbia which is Ivy. LuAnn and Sonja though humbled had been Countess and “a Morgan.” Which made them more in need of being reformed to her mind, but she treated them all as her inherently guilty inferiors inventing “micro-aggressions.”

Erika'sAngryEarrings November 27, 2023 - 5:19 pm

Thank you for being brave enough to articulate it so well, you speak for many. What I read is that Ramona got into trouble the first time, when Eboni reported her to production, and again in her text to the p. 6 reporter, for saying “I didn’t use or say the n’r word,” but actually saying it in THAT context only to be clear on what she didn’t say. If she’d only called it “the n-word” it might’ve been OK.

Whoever reports you just needs to say “they used the n’word” regardless of context. ((The husband of Libby the Zionist who never made it onto NYC got into similar trouble, nm today’s news.) Also I recall that at some point she asked why black people can say it in rap and popular culture but if a non-BIPOC repeats the lyrics to ask questions, they’re “racist.” – “J’accuse.”

She seemed to be trying to educate herself in her Ramona-splainin’ way. Indeed she was so awful at Eboni’s “black Shabbat dinner” (which is kinda racist in itself or at least appropriating to suit herself – she’d been engaged to a Jewish man so maybe thought she had special dispensation).

Being cringey-awkward was her hallmark in general. Being banned from RHUGT’s, BravoCons and especially fired from her realtor job is too harsh. Ditto when Chris Harrison was fired asking for grace when Rachel had gone along with her sorority doing something which just a few years later is racist – especially as Rachel and black b.f. Matt are still together and I think engaged so he’s OK with it. Kids fired on VPR for something tasteless they’d said a decade earlier…

captainjk4 November 27, 2023 - 7:41 pm

Thanks, although I don’t think I should have to be brave to speak the truth as I know it to be. I think we should all be able to speak the truth, and if someone doesn’t like it or agree that’s ok too. And they can voice it in a respectable way or just not comment. I’m fine with that. I’m NOT fine with this game of telephone where now people are saying that Ramona was fired from Bravo (not true) and other things because she sent out racist texts. That just didn’t happen.

And she DID say “the n-word” in her text. She was saying she didn’t say “the n-word” and I think she also texted another short version of it but never actually texted it. And the whole point was her defending herself from years ago. Bottom line is that I don’t think that we as a society should be convicting people on heresay. Just because Ramona rubs you the wrong way (and I can certainly see why she would) doesn’t mean she’s a racist. Certainly not simply because a proven racist like Eboni says so!

I never saw any “black Shabbat dinner” and I’m glad since it should just be called “Shabbat dinner” no matter what race is hosting it. Judaism is a religion, not a race. I must have quit the show by then.

I thought that it was outrageous to fire those newer VPR cast members for stuff they said a decade earlier. Kids say a lot of stupid things, especially when the mainstream radio and Sirius XM plays songs with the N word in it round the clock. Now HS kids who sing along are told they can’t get into college because of it??? If it’s so bad (which I think it is) then the word should be banned everywhere. Or it should be allowed everywhere. One or the other. It’s not fair to cherry pick who gets to say bad words, as it confuses the younger generation….especially younger white kids who look up to these rappers and sing along with their songs.

Erika'sAngryEarrings November 27, 2023 - 9:44 pm

1000%

captainjk4 November 27, 2023 - 12:10 pm

Why write an article about Bethenny “weighing in” if (when asked) Bethenny feels she doesn’t have enough information to actually weigh in?

LeftyRighty November 27, 2023 - 1:54 pm

Totally what the hell – does RB have an editor? The caption should be Bethany does not weigh in on Ramona but we have nothing else to write about

DubrowsPointyFinger November 27, 2023 - 7:41 pm

I stopped reading after Bethenny’s non comment.

Eva Meen November 27, 2023 - 1:19 pm

The both need to go head to head over which one has the weirdest eyes.

Miranda Pierpont November 27, 2023 - 3:10 pm

> Amid Her Reality Reckoning

Amid? How will we know the reckoning has begun/is underway/ends? It’s literally nothing.